HIPAA Information Security for hospitals: The benefits of implementation
We have examined why it can be envisioned that HIPAA standardization would help hospitals, but exactly what benefits and Return on Investment (ROI) could be
- Enhanced privacy and security of patient and member personal health
- Provider and health plan overhead cost reductions through standardization
- More consistent processes among health plans as electronic formats and values
will be uniform throughout the health care industry.
- Simplification of data submission through standardized transactions and code sets.
- Availability of a new option for submitting authorizations and referrals that allows
transmission of multiple referrals and authorizations in standardized formats.
- Additional options for online and batch inquiries provide an alternative to send
multiple claim inquiries in one file and to receive a timely response on the status
of each requested claim.